ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2011-10 > 1319986049

From: "Caroline Bell" <>
Subject: [Ess] Workhouse in Harold Wood ??
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 14:47:29 -0000

According to my late mother, my gt.grandfather James BARRINGTON (born 1852) inherited quite a bit of money from his mother in 1906, but spent it all :) As my grandfather had died in 1923 leaving my grandmother with two children to bring up,gt.grandfather had to go into the workhouse. My mother remembered him visiting her when they were living in Wanstead. I think my mother said he came from Harold Wood. I have found a death in 1936, Romford, which could be him. Was there a workhouse there that he might have been sent to ?? He had previously been living in Forest Gate.

Thank you :)

This thread: