ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2011-10 > 1318579043

From: "Pam Dale" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Deal Blitz death
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 17:57:23 +1000

Hi Donna

I found that website most interesting. Here in Australia we were far
away from such damage as London, Essex and other counties experienced.
We can only imagine what it was like. Darwin was bombed with some
loss of life and Catalina flying boats in Broome harbour, Western
Australia, were bombed by the Japanese, also with loss of life. The
hospital ship Centaur was hit by a Japanese submarine off the coast of
southern Queensland where many people lost their lives. This ship was
clearly marked with a red cross which identified it as a hospital
ship. The wreckage was found not long ago and there is a memorial at
Tweed Heads on the border of Queensland and New South Wales. There
were some mini-submarines found in Sydney Harbour. There are many
battlements on the northern Australian coastline and coast watchers
waited to report sightings of invading planes or ships. The Battle of
the Coral Sea is well known in Australian WW2 history.

I was but a small child at the time of WW2, but have travelled
extensively within Australia, particularly to the Top End.

Pam in Brisbane Australia