ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2011-10 > 1318501790

From: Donia Stick <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Deal Blitz death
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:29:50 +0100

My father, Don Flint, a Southend man, was a fireman in London during the
Blitz. Whilst he was on leave in Southend he and his brother Ron, also a
fireman, were recognised in the High Street after the bombing of the London
Hotel.

A Fire Officer called to them to remove their jackets and "get stuck in"
rescuing people from the building. According to their youngest brother the
local firemen were quite reluctant but the officer knew that my father and
Uncle Ron were used to this type of incident. My father pulled out three
bodies from the cellar of the hotel. Both he and Uncle Ron received
commendations for their efforts from the Chief Fire Officer of Southend.

There is a photograph of the ruins of the hotel at
http://www.thesoutheastecho.co.uk/southend_history4.htm

Regards

Donia

This thread: