ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2011-09 > 1317227521

From: "Michael Gilbey" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Death of Charles Valentine KNAPP
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:32:01 +0100

Judy,

I think you are left with two possibilities at the moment. Either Charles
Knapp did die 1881-1891 and as you and others have suggested his records got
lost somewhere in the system. The other possibility is he left home and was
working. Giving his age in 1891 would have been 15, if he survived he is
almost certain to have sought employment. Many people lived on shop or work
premises as a kind of human burglar alarm with some of these being missed
from the census. Other possibilities would be joining the military as a boy
sailor or soldier. If at sea or abroad again there would be no census
record.

The only problem with that theory at the moment is I can find no trace of
him in later life.

Michael