ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2011-05 > 1306786028

From: Dick Mathews <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Marriage Record - Please Disregard
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 21:07:08 +0100

While I hesitate to take issue with Caroline (whose posts to this list
are a regular source of sensible advice) or wth Jennifer (likewise),
what happens when a single mother registers a birth has changed over the
years. Prior to the Birth and Death Act 1874 the mother could name
anyone as the father wihout him being present or agreeing. I have a
certificate from the mid 1850s found via FreeBMD using the unmarried
mother's surname which (to my surprise when I first saw it) named
someone I'd never heard of as the father. And I have another very early
one (1838) for Hannah Boden where the informant is identified as
"Elizabeth Dolmans, Occupier, and present at the birth" - so neither
parent was involved in the registration.

So, sadly, John Galley's birth registration is unlikely to identify his
father - but the Quarter Sessions records for bastardy might provide a
clue!.

Dick Mathews