ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2011-04 > 1303744478

From: "JFHH" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Help Needed MOURTON/THORN
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 16:14:38 +0100

Hi Shirley,
----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil O'Donnell" <>
>I am trying to find a marriage of Jane Ann THORN (b. 1851) & Richard MOURTON (b.1850) Whilst this
>is not an Essex area, sometimes our ancestors creep into other districts and marry. After a long
>and tedious trek I am getting desperate! Richard MOURTON born West London to Charles & Susannah
>MOURTON. I have Richard in the census of 1851 & 1871. I might have him in 1861 but can’t confirm.
>I also have him in later census. He dies in 1899. Richard & Jane have their first child in 1877
>(Sophia aka Sofia) and others follow,. This name is mostly MOURTON but it sometimes appears as
>MORETON & MORTON.
> Any suggestions? I have tried all sorts of computations from the free BMD list and nothing appears
> on Ancestry parish index. They could have married between 1871 (Richard is living with his brother
> on this census and is unmarried) & the birth of their first born in 1877. However, as I can’t
> find them they might have not married at all!
> Do you have any MOURTON or THORN’s in your tree?
> Thanks,> Shirley in Florida

Given the coincidence of surnames, this could be worth following up [e.g. censuses, basptisms of
children]:

Sep 1862 (>99%)
Moorton Richard Charles James Shoreditch 1c305
Thorne Caroline Hannah Shoreditch 1c305

which turns out to be
Name:Richard Charles James Moorton [Cabinet Maker, 3 Tyson Street]
Age:20
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1842
Spouse Name:Caroline Hannah Thorne [-, 4 Wellington Street]
Spouse Age:20
Record Type:Marriage
Marriage Date:03 Aug 1862
Parish:St James, Shoreditch
COUNTY:Middlesex
Borough:Hackney
Father Name:James Moorton [Labourer]
Spouse Father Name:Thomas Thorne [Dairyman]
Source Citation: London Metropolitan Archives, Saint James, Bermondsey[Should be SHOREDITCH
-(( ], Register of marriages, P71/JS, Item 014

In 1871 they are in Union Street, Shoreditch, indexed as Charles MOURTON by ancestry. I see from the
1851 census that the two Richards are distinct persons, one born 1842 listed as Charles], the other
1850, but there might be a connection?

Regards
John Henley

This thread: