ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2011-03 > 1300205283

From: Roger Partridge <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Legal marriage name.
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:08:03 +0000

Hi Ingrid, Caroline & Listers !

My family is a typical "British" mixture from many different parts of
the British
Isles - I am a quarter Irish through my paternal Grandmother and my
wife is
half Irish through her mother - when our 2nd Daughter was born in
June 1959
we particularly liked the name Sínead (which is the Irish for Jane),
but my
mother created quite a fuss and said "You cannot call her that -
she'll get
teased all the time at school !", so in the end we weakened and she was
christened 'Jane'. But very soon she was being called Sínead and she
went
right through school with no trouble at all (well, she has got red
hair ! ;-)) )
and she never used anything else - at home, at work, on her cheque book,
her passport, her Marriage Certificate, etc., etc. !

Best Wishes ! Roger.
----------------------
On 15 Mar 2011, at 11:01, Caroline Bradford wrote:

> Perfectly legal, Ingrid. In fact, technically speaking, if
> everyone knew
> her as "Jennie" then that was her real, legal name, not the one on
> her birth
> certificate.
>
> It's only very recently that we have become so obsessed with
> "identity" that
> documentary proof is seen as necessary for everything, and this has
> caused
> no end of difficulty for some people who have spent their whole
> lives using
> names different from those on their birth certificates.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Caroline
>

>> Hi Caroline,
>>
>> I knew about the interchange of Jane/Jennie just wondered if it
>> was legal.
>> The reason was her Mum was called Jane also maybe this was the reason
>> or so I am thinking.
>>
>> Thank you for your quick response.
>>
>> Ingrid

This thread: