ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2011-03 > 1300185801

From: "Caroline Bradford" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Legal marriage name.
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:43:21 -0000

Hi Ingrid

In English common law, a person's "legal" name is the name by which they are
known. In theory, you can call yourself anything you like, provided your
purpose in using an alternative name is not fraud or deception.

Jennie was a common variation on Jane, particularly in Scotland, so this
isn't even really a name change, just someone preferring the familiar
version rather than the formal one.

HTH

Caroline

> Morning list.
>
> I have a question on legal names when marrying. I have a lady born as
> Jane
> in Scotland marries in England (Essex) under the name of Jennie and
> when she
> dies is also registered as Jennie.
>
> Did she have to provide her birth certificate when she married in 1908.
> Would this have been a problem?
>
> This whole family her siblings is a great hoot so far fibs a plenty!
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Ingrid Billings.

This thread: