ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2011-02 > 1297017298

From: Adrian Gray <>
Subject: [Ess] John Cornell GRAY, born 1823 Great Sampford, in 1851 and 1861.
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 18:34:58 +0000

Could someone with an Ancestry/FMP sub check the 1851 and 1861 census for the above fellow, please?

I'm just checking my Local Historian article prior to publication, and removing the ballcocks I wrote having conflated him with another John born circa 1827 at Gt Sampford! I'm 99% certain that I've checked the census exhaustively to find him in the past, but if someone could check and confirm that I'd be very grateful. I've got him in 1841, and he's living in a shed in Gt Sampford in 1871 (described as a pensioner, so he may be "missing" in the army overseas), and I have his death in 1878 - drowned in a pond, knowing my family lost on the way home from the pub! I just need a confirmation that he really is not findable before I write any more cobblers.

He is very definitely NOT the John Gray keeping an inn in Sawbridgeworth, who I muddled him with.

Thank you very much,

Adrian

This thread: