ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2011-01 > 1295735178

From: "e-mail dawn.walsh1" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] ESSEX-UK Digest, Vol 6, Issue 25
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 22:26:18 +0000

I have not been back to Rochford for some years but I believe that 9-11
South St are part of Rochford Council offices and if my memory is correct
they were converted from the original buildings around 1970 so that would
fit (but I was very young at the time!). A 'walk' down the street on google
earth shows that the street has changed little over the years and I suspect
that conversion to offices was sympathetic to the original buildings -
perhaps someone with a longer memory than me can confirm this?

If this is the case it may be that the council have records of
the previous buildings.

Dawn

RE: CROMWELL HOUSE, SOUTH STREET, ROCHFORD
My 3 x Great Uncle, William GOWER had a Grocers Shop in Cromwell House,
South Street, Rochford from C1848 until 1873.
Cromwell House was split into two and numbered 9 and 11, South Street and it
was demolished around 1970.
Does anyone know of the whereabouts of a picture which might show the shop?

David Lindsell

This thread: