ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2011-01 > 1294944103

From: Chris Gadsby <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Claybury Lunatic Asylum 1911 census
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 18:41:43 +0000

Hallo Elaine,

I know that you were asking for the 1911 census but I had a bit of a
search using Google, Ancestry and Find My Past and for what it is worth,
I found that Claybury Asylum in the 1901 census was called the London
County Lunatic Asylum and was in the Ilford Civil Parish and
Registration District of Romford. In the description of the enumeration
district it gives the location as Barkingside, Ilford, although I must
say I always thought of it as Woodford Bridge, but the 'other side'
would have been in that area.

I then had a look for a particular name in 1901 in the hope of finding
the same person in 1911 and I was lucky.

The reference for at least one of the pages in the 1911 Census is as
follows:
Claybury Woodford Bridge Essex
Romford
Reference RG14PN9910 RD191 SD2 ED61 SN9999

or you could try searching by name for the following person to get into
the right bart of the 1911 census if that works better:

*Person:* JONES, W *Institution:* London County Lunatic Asylum, LONDON
COUNTY LUNATIC ASYLUM

I hope this helps you to find what you need - if you need something
more specific, let me know and I'll have another look.

Best wishes,

Chris Gadsby

On 13/01/2011 16:04, La Greenall wrote:
> Dear Elaine,
>
> It was situated in a large park. You can still find it on modern mapping
> websites (just search for 'claybury asylum'), but all the road names on
> the estate and even the name of the park itself (Repton Park) are modern
> and won't be in the 1911 census. The hospital was accessed (probably, I
> think) from Manor Road, Woodford Bridge, but unfortunately none of the
> FMP website hits for that address show any hint of such an institution.
> I can only assume it was listed separately in the returns for the
> district, as an institution, but again there doesn't seem to be a way of
> searching for institutions in the 1911 census website.
>
> There may be one possibility; following the Latest News link from the
> FMP 1911 homepage tells us that the summary pages from each enumeration
> district are available free, so long as you've already paid to view a
> census page within it. So it may be worth doing this for any of the
> households in Manor Road, so that you can access the summary page for
> its RD, which might then tell you where in its returns the asylum might
> be found.
>
> It's a long shot I know, and someone else may have a much more efficient
> answer!
>
> As a last resort, try contacting Woodford Historical Society; its
> chairman Peter Lawrence has studied the history of the asylum.
> Unfortunately its website (http://www.woodfordhistsoc.org/) is down.
> Emailing might work, or it might be an out
> of date address.
>
> Regards,
> Lawrence in Waltham Abbey
>

> On 10/01/2011 12:48, Elaine Tunbridge wrote:
>> Dear Listers
>>

>> I have been trying to find Claybury Lunatic Asylum on the 1911 census
>> without success. I do have a subscription to FMP and have tried finding it
>> on the address search. Can SKS point me in the right direction?
>>

>> Kind regards
>>

>> Elaine Tunbridge

This thread: