ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2010-09 > 1285508950

From: "colleen" <>
Subject: [Ess] Ancestry's Essex archives etc
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:49:10 +0100

The following question and answer are given by Ancestry:

What happens to my tree when my Ancestry.com subscriptions ends?

Answer:
Once you cancel your Ancestry.com subscription, you will be a registered guest on the website. If you have an Ancestry Member Tree when you cancel your subscription then your tree will still remain on your account. You will still have access to your tree under your Ancestry.com log in. You will be able to: View and edit your tree, Invite others to view your tree, export your tree, add or remove photos, stories, audio and videos. Without access to an Ancestry.com subscription you will not be able to view records attached to your tree, but you will be able to see that there are records attached to your tree, and what record type it is. Without a subscription you will not be able to search for additional information on Ancestry.com, or have access to other member trees without an invitation from the owner of that tree. When you choose to, subscribe again, we recommend you re-subscribe using the same username, so you will have access to your tree and all the records attached to your tree.

Ancestry must hold a huge amount of Essex and other data, some of this irreplaceable as it's taken from families' personal archives and photographs. Have Ancestry stated what they would do with all of the data/ archives they hold in the event of the company ceasing to trade at some unspecified time in the future - which happens to most companies eventually? This data effectively belongs to Ancestry once it's posted to their site, so they may either sell, preserve, donate or destroy it at will? Have Ancestry stated what they would do with this data in the event of the company no longer trading? Personally, I would like Ancestry to donate copies of the data to international archive organisations such as local records offices, Societies of genealogists, national archives and so on, to ensure its perservation. What are others' views about this?

Colleen

This thread: