ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2010-08 > 1281998594

From: "Neil Bowers" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Places to research Essex ancestors, Lord, Felstead, Salmon,Archer, Stock, Orwell, Reynolds--especially Lord and Felstead
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 23:43:14 +0100

Hello Barbara Jo,

welcome to the Essex list.

In my opinion your time would be much better spent at the ERO (Essex Record
Office).
The main source of records you have before 1837 are Parish Registers.
These are stored at the ERO, not at the National Archives.
If you do stay in London the SoG (Society of Genealogists) holds copies of a
large number of PRs but you would have to pay (?4 for 1 hour to ?18 for the
day) to use their facilities.

Essex is actually one of the few counties, in my experience, that are
undertaking the scanning and free online publication of PRs. According to
ERO all pre-1700 PRs are now online as part of SEAX. This is a great effort
in my opinion. If you're unlucky you may have to use Microfiche copies to
get you back to 1700 if your parish is not yet covered between 1700 and
1832.

My advice would be to check SEAX (http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/default.asp)
for the parishes you are looking for before visiting the UK. You could also
check the LDS Familysearch Pilot site
(http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#).
This may be enough. If not then a trip to the ERO would be most profitable
way of spending your time in England.

Hope this helps,

Neil