ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2010-02 > 1266770122

From: "Colleen" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Great Mutley
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:35:22 -0000

It looks more like Great Mutley to me than Great Bentley. If the 'M' of
Mutley is really a 'B' then, as it's identical to the 'Ms' in a dozen or
more occurrences of the county of Middlesex recorded on the page, those
Middlesexes must really state Biddlesex: which we know isn't the case. So
perhaps this is more likely to be an error stemming either from Carrie's
confusion about where she was born or from the enumerator misunderstanding
Carrie's dialect?

Colleen