ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-12 > 1259748609

Subject: Re: [Ess] Cold trail of Thomas Bligh GROVE baker of Harwich
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 05:10:09 EST

(Thomas Bligh GROVE was one of my gt x 3 grandfathers . He
was b c1800 and
was a baker in High Street, Harwich from 1823 - 1848

He married Eliza MORTLEMAN, St Marys Magdalene's ,
Bermondsey 2 June 1832 by license
He was recorded being of the parish of St Nicholas,
Harwich ......... There the trail goes cold)

I am afraid that just because he is stated as being of the parish of St.
Nicholas, simply means that is where he was resident at the time of the
marriage, not that he was born there. Both the 1841 and 1851 census are
consistent in showing him as being born in Essex, so I suggest you can only widen
your search to surrounding parishes in the hope that he had not moved too
far.

You could also search the census for other people named GROVE, of a similar
age, born in Essex, he may well have had siblings, then look in the
parishes in which they were born

I presume you searched several years either side of his estimated birth
year? Don't forget that in the 1841 census ages were rounded down to the
nearest five or ten years, so he could have been born as early as 1796, and that
is his the birth year shown in the 1851 census.

Jennifer

This thread: