ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-10 > 1255936159

From: "Caroline Bradford" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Family change of name?
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 08:09:19 +0100

Nice idea, but this was not, contrary to many people's misapprehensions, the
way the census worked. From 1851 onwards, householders were supplied with a
schedule (i.e. a form just like they are today) which had to be completed
and returned to the enumerator, who then entered the details from the
schedules into the books which are the record we now have of the census
until 1911 (which is the first census where the household schedules
themselves were kept).

Sorry to sound picky, but it's best to keep the record straight!

Best wishes

Caroline