ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-10 > 1255887209

From: Roger Partridge <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Family change of name?
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:33:29 +0100

Hi Steve & Listers !

I have read this original email and the ones that followed in the
thread,
but is it just possible that either (a) the Enumerator made a mistake /
transcription error and substituted James HUMPHREY's occupation
of 'Carter' for his surname ? / or (b) that James was widely known in
the area as "James the Carter" (along the lines of the well known
Welshman "Dai the Bread" !) and that it was not James himself who
gave the Enumerator the information, and so it was taken to be his
real surname and not just his occupation ?

My son-in-law John CARTER is actually my Dentist (thank the Lord
as he is brilliant !) but presumably that is how one of his ancestors
got that surname ?

Best Wishes ! Roger.

This thread: