ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-09 > 1252572996

From: "gypsys_genealogy" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] WW1 Army Records
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:56:36 +0800
References: <c09.68c12bf5.37d28292@aol.com><905665.48076.qm@web86605.mail.ird.yahoo.com><DE8889EC-4916-4415-88FF-B9F3877C9E3A@ukonline.co.uk><004e01ca2ea1$0ae19a10$20a4ce30$@com.au><35F7ABDB-3E50-4C54-8A3D-C53F8706C76E@ukonline.co.uk><008f01ca2eff$ff460ec0$fdd22c40$@com.au><0C13D17B-04DB-4B87-85D6-C881121DD007@ukonline.co.uk>
In-Reply-To: <0C13D17B-04DB-4B87-85D6-C881121DD007@ukonline.co.uk>

Roger, thank you once more!

I have checked the 1911 online but no joy although with the surname, it's
often spelt wrong so I'll keep trying

To your other suggestions - just checking out the British Library now and it
was on FIBIS that she was found along with her fathers' name so I'm just
trying work out why they were there - he doesn't appear to be Army so I'll
look at your suggestions of CS or railway etc

Thanks so much Roger for all your help & insights, you've been very generous
with your help & time

Hooroo!
Teri

From: Roger Partridge [mailto:]
Sent: Monday, 7 September 2009 12:10 AM
To: Essex post; gypsys_genealogy
Subject: Re: [Ess] WW1 Army Records

G'day again Teri !

I have numbered your points below and answer as follows:-

1) Have you checked in the 1911 Census which was released earlier
this year ? As it was taken just about 3 years before WW1 started it
might well give you some clues ! I know it is a bit expensive if you
use
it online, but it might be well worth it ! IF you have an LDS Family
History
Centre near you I believe you can search either free or more cheaply ?

2+3) I can think of two areas of research here: (a) IF her father was
in the
Army her Birth and/or Baptism may turn up in the "Chaplain's Returns"
(which was where I found some relations) - these were Baptisms,
Marriages and Burials carried out by Army Chaplains and reported at
intervals (? every 3 months ?) back to the Registrar-General in the UK.
Up to about 2-3 years ago (before the Family History Centre in London
was closed) I knew exactly where to find them on the shelves, and had
made use of them, but I have not had any need to try since; I think they
may be at The National Archives at Kew in S.W. London - I suggest you
try their website at

source=ddmenu_search3&j=1

The other possibility (b) is that they were working out there in the
Civil
Service, on the railways, as missionaries or medical staff, or on a tea
plantation, and that any Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered
in a local Anglican or R.C. church ! These Registers are all lodged at
The British Library in London whose website is at

Within that Library there is a section which holds all the old "India
Office
Library" and it is very easy to use on a personal visit, but I have
never
needed to use it online ! The main clue that you must have is to know
where they were in India as all the Records are divided up into the 3
main Provinces: Bombay, Madras and Bengal - once you know that
the records are very well indexed and you can find the Register and
obtain a photocopy quite easily (when you are there !) - I expect they
offer some sort of service to overseas enquirers ? - I hope so or it
may
mean hiring a professional researcher ?
IF you find a lot of connections to India you should have a look at the
website for the "Families In British India Society (FIBIS)" which is at

4) I am getting "a bit long in the tooth" for that now I'm afraid,
and tend
to holiday mainly in the UK or Europe - especially visiting my hordes
of Grandchildren and 1 Great-Grandson !

Best Wishes ! Roger.
--------------------
On 6 Sep 2009, at 15:40, gypsys_genealogy wrote:

> G'day again Roger
> I will try to find out if my Granddad did indeed work up north
> although I
> honestly cannot think why at this stage - he absolutely loved Essex
> & I
> cannot imagine him wanting to live elsewhere
> but... ..........................(1)
> May I once again pick your brains please?........YOU CAN TRY !!!!!
> You mention your family in the Army in India - just discovered my
> NansGrandmother was born in India - no wonder I could never find her
> where I thought she should be!
> Did English ppl generally only go to India for the Army or was
> there some
> other reason -
> lifestyle?............................................................
> ..................(2)
> My Nans' Grandmothers birth was found online as a transcription so I
> have never seen it in it's original form but would they be registered
> so that I can purchase the certificate from somewhere
> please?.........(3)
> You must be due for another trip downunder by
> now!..........................(4)
> Thanks again
> Hooroo!
> Teri
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Roger Partridge [mailto:]
> Sent: Sunday, 6 September 2009 4:39 PM
> To: Essex post; gypsys_genealogy
> Subject: Re: [Ess] WW1 Army Records
> G'day Teri & Listers !
> Glad to have helped a little ! - I'm certainly not an expert on Army
> records as I did my National Service in the Royal Navy (and there
> you keep the same Service Number all the way through !), but I
> have learnt a bit as lots of my ancestors were in the Army in India,
> the Crimean War and WW1 & 2.
> Recruits often went into their local regiment as they signed on at a
> local Recruiting Office, but maybe he was working up in Yorkshire
> when he signed on ? I would think that the Military Police and a
> Cycle Corps were specialised units that he would have volunteered
> for, perhaps due to special skills or interests that he had ? (e.g.
> was
> he in the Police in civilian life ?)
> I don't think that they had to be wounded to transfer ? I only knew
> my late father-in-law had been wounded as he had a very bad car
> accident after he retired, and when he came out of hospital he was
> rather worried about getting in and out of the bath and asked me to
> stand just outside the door in case he needed help, and I saw this
> horrific scar across his back - and
> then he told me he had been shot when he was wriggling under some
> barbed wire in "No Man's Land". It was only when I started researching
> Family History that I found out that he had started in the
> Cambridgeshire
> Regiment (he was born in Cambridge) and later served in the Bedford-
> shire Regiment and the Northamptonshire Regiment. (In WW2 he was
> in the Royal Air Force).
> Give my love to Oz ! - I had 2 fantastic holidays there in '90 & '92 !
> Best Wishes ! Roger.
> --------------------
> On 6 Sep 2009, at 04:20, gypsys_genealogy wrote:
>> G'day Roger
>> Well that cleared something up for me as my Grandfathers medal
>> record that
>> I've just located has him in 3 regiments with 3 different numbers -
>> I didn't
>> realise they moved around - was this generally because they were
>> wounded?
>> I've found him in W Yorks, Military Police & what looks like a
>> cycle corps?
>> Also a bit surprised being an Essex lad that he ended up in W Yorks
>> So much to learn :)
>> Hooroo!
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Roger Partridge [mailto:]
>> Sent: Saturday, 5 September 2009 12:35 AM
>> To: Essex post
>> Cc: ; ;
>> Subject: Re: [Ess] WW1 Army Records
>> Hi, Teri, Diana, George & Listers !
>> The other important fact to remember is that the WW1 Army records
>> were
>> very badly damaged in an air raid during WW2 and about 50 - 60% were
>> badly burnt or completely destroyed. The National Archives have done
>> their best to rescue as much as possible and microfilm them, but
>> for many
>> WW1 soldiers all you will ever find is their Medal Record card -
>> they can
>> tell you quite a lot in many cases:- I only knew that my late
>> father-in-law
>> had served in one regiment until I found his card which told me of
>> the two
>> other regiments that he had been transferred into after being
>> wounded !
>> Each time he was transferred across he had a new regimental number.
>> Good Hunting ! Roger.
>> ---------------------
>> On 4 Sep 2009, at 15:59, George Carter wrote:
>>> One thing to remember is that not everyone got a pension. Anyone who
>>> had served I think 12 years or was injured while on active service
>>> would
>>> get a pension but they weren`t freely handed out. My grandfather who
>>> was shot through the knee and eventually lost his leg while on the
>>> Somme
>>> got a pension but when he died in 1926 it wasn`t passed on to my
>>> gran.
>>> Because of a seven year clause, plus they reckoned his heart attack
>>> had
>>> nothing to do with his injury, despite having to have 19 operations
>>> on his leg
>>> George Carter in Whaley Bridge
>>> ________________________________
>>> From: "" <>
>>> To:
>>> Cc:
>>> Sent: Friday, 4 September, 2009 3:47:46 PM
>>> Subject: Re: [Ess] WW1 Army Records
>>> There are two types of military records for World War 1 - the
>>> medals record
>>> which don't really give much information and the pensions war
>>> record which
>>> are quite detailed. Search for your ancestor on Ancestry then
>>> search in
>>> the military section and find the British world war 1 pensions
>>> record. They
>>> are very detailed if you can find one.
>>> Regards
>>> Diana
>>> ---------------------------
>>> In a message dated 04/09/2009 14:47:39 GMT Daylight Time,
>>> writes:
>>> Hello
>>> I've found my Essex ancestors WW1 record on Ancestry & then
>>> checked on National Archives & also found a record for him
>>>
>>> My question is, would the NA record show anything extra than
>>> Ancestry?
>>> The Ancestry record just has his Regiment & Regiment Number then
>>> Victory, Roll & Page
>>> Also, on the Ancestry record under British, it has a squiggly line
>>> - does that mean he wasn't British?
>>> I've never seen one of these records before & I don't really
>>> understand what I'm looking at
>>> Thanks for any help