ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-09 > 1252253396

From: Roger Partridge <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] WW1 Army Records
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 17:09:56 +0100
References: <c09.68c12bf5.37d28292@aol.com><905665.48076.qm@web86605.mail.ird.yahoo.com><DE8889EC-4916-4415-88FF-B9F3877C9E3A@ukonline.co.uk><004e01ca2ea1$0ae19a10$20a4ce30$@com.au><35F7ABDB-3E50-4C54-8A3D-C53F8706C76E@ukonline.co.uk><008f01ca2eff$ff460ec0$fdd22c40$@com.au>
In-Reply-To: <008f01ca2eff$ff460ec0$fdd22c40$@com.au>

G'day again Teri !

I have numbered your points below and answer as follows:-

1) Have you checked in the 1911 Census which was released earlier
this year ? As it was taken just about 3 years before WW1 started it
might well give you some clues ! I know it is a bit expensive if you
use
it online, but it might be well worth it ! IF you have an LDS Family
History
Centre near you I believe you can search either free or more cheaply ?

2+3) I can think of two areas of research here: (a) IF her father was
in the
Army her Birth and/or Baptism may turn up in the "Chaplain's Returns"
(which was where I found some relations) - these were Baptisms,
Marriages and Burials carried out by Army Chaplains and reported at
intervals (? every 3 months ?) back to the Registrar-General in the UK.
Up to about 2-3 years ago (before the Family History Centre in London
was closed) I knew exactly where to find them on the shelves, and had
made use of them, but I have not had any need to try since; I think they
may be at The National Archives at Kew in S.W. London - I suggest you
try their website at

source=ddmenu_search3&j=1

The other possibility (b) is that they were working out there in the
Civil
Service, on the railways, as missionaries or medical staff, or on a tea
plantation, and that any Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered
in a local Anglican or R.C. church ! These Registers are all lodged at
The British Library in London whose website is at

Within that Library there is a section which holds all the old "India
Office
Library" and it is very easy to use on a personal visit, but I have
never
needed to use it online ! The main clue that you must have is to know
where they were in India as all the Records are divided up into the 3
main Provinces: Bombay, Madras and Bengal - once you know that
the records are very well indexed and you can find the Register and
obtain a photocopy quite easily (when you are there !) - I expect they
offer some sort of service to overseas enquirers ? - I hope so or it
may
mean hiring a professional researcher ?
IF you find a lot of connections to India you should have a look at the
website for the "Families In British India Society (FIBIS)" which is at

4) I am getting "a bit long in the tooth" for that now I'm afraid,
and tend
to holiday mainly in the UK or Europe - especially visiting my hordes
of Grandchildren and 1 Great-Grandson !

Best Wishes ! Roger.
--------------------
On 6 Sep 2009, at 15:40, gypsys_genealogy wrote:

> G'day again Roger
> I will try to find out if my Granddad did indeed work up north
> although I
> honestly cannot think why at this stage - he absolutely loved Essex
> & I
> cannot imagine him wanting to live elsewhere
> but... ..........................(1)
> May I once again pick your brains please?........YOU CAN TRY !!!!!
> You mention your family in the Army in India - just discovered my
> NansGrandmother was born in India - no wonder I could never find her
> where I thought she should be!
> Did English ppl generally only go to India for the Army or was
> there some
> other reason -
> lifestyle?............................................................
> ..................(2)
> My Nans' Grandmothers birth was found online as a transcription so I
> have never seen it in it's original form but would they be registered
> so that I can purchase the certificate from somewhere
> please?.........(3)
> You must be due for another trip downunder by
> now!..........................(4)
> Thanks again
> Hooroo!
> Teri
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Roger Partridge [mailto:]
> Sent: Sunday, 6 September 2009 4:39 PM
> To: Essex post; gypsys_genealogy
> Subject: Re: [Ess] WW1 Army Records
> G'day Teri & Listers !
> Glad to have helped a little ! - I'm certainly not an expert on Army
> records as I did my National Service in the Royal Navy (and there
> you keep the same Service Number all the way through !), but I
> have learnt a bit as lots of my ancestors were in the Army in India,
> the Crimean War and WW1 & 2.
> Recruits often went into their local regiment as they signed on at a
> local Recruiting Office, but maybe he was working up in Yorkshire
> when he signed on ? I would think that the Military Police and a
> Cycle Corps were specialised units that he would have volunteered
> for, perhaps due to special skills or interests that he had ? (e.g.
> was
> he in the Police in civilian life ?)
> I don't think that they had to be wounded to transfer ? I only knew
> my late father-in-law had been wounded as he had a very bad car
> accident after he retired, and when he came out of hospital he was
> rather worried about getting in and out of the bath and asked me to
> stand just outside the door in case he needed help, and I saw this
> horrific scar across his back - and
> then he told me he had been shot when he was wriggling under some
> barbed wire in "No Man's Land". It was only when I started researching
> Family History that I found out that he had started in the
> Cambridgeshire
> Regiment (he was born in Cambridge) and later served in the Bedford-
> shire Regiment and the Northamptonshire Regiment. (In WW2 he was
> in the Royal Air Force).
> Give my love to Oz ! - I had 2 fantastic holidays there in '90 & '92 !
> Best Wishes ! Roger.
> --------------------
> On 6 Sep 2009, at 04:20, gypsys_genealogy wrote:
>> G'day Roger
>> Well that cleared something up for me as my Grandfathers medal
>> record that
>> I've just located has him in 3 regiments with 3 different numbers -
>> I didn't
>> realise they moved around - was this generally because they were
>> wounded?
>> I've found him in W Yorks, Military Police & what looks like a
>> cycle corps?
>> Also a bit surprised being an Essex lad that he ended up in W Yorks
>> So much to learn :)
>> Hooroo!
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Roger Partridge [mailto:]
>> Sent: Saturday, 5 September 2009 12:35 AM
>> To: Essex post
>> Cc: ; ;
>> Subject: Re: [Ess] WW1 Army Records
>> Hi, Teri, Diana, George & Listers !
>> The other important fact to remember is that the WW1 Army records
>> were
>> very badly damaged in an air raid during WW2 and about 50 - 60% were
>> badly burnt or completely destroyed. The National Archives have done
>> their best to rescue as much as possible and microfilm them, but
>> for many
>> WW1 soldiers all you will ever find is their Medal Record card -
>> they can
>> tell you quite a lot in many cases:- I only knew that my late
>> father-in-law
>> had served in one regiment until I found his card which told me of
>> the two
>> other regiments that he had been transferred into after being
>> wounded !
>> Each time he was transferred across he had a new regimental number.
>> Good Hunting ! Roger.
>> ---------------------
>> On 4 Sep 2009, at 15:59, George Carter wrote:
>>> One thing to remember is that not everyone got a pension. Anyone who
>>> had served I think 12 years or was injured while on active service
>>> would
>>> get a pension but they weren`t freely handed out. My grandfather who
>>> was shot through the knee and eventually lost his leg while on the
>>> Somme
>>> got a pension but when he died in 1926 it wasn`t passed on to my
>>> gran.
>>> Because of a seven year clause, plus they reckoned his heart attack
>>> had
>>> nothing to do with his injury, despite having to have 19 operations
>>> on his leg
>>> George Carter in Whaley Bridge
>>> ________________________________
>>> From: "" <>
>>> To:
>>> Cc:
>>> Sent: Friday, 4 September, 2009 3:47:46 PM
>>> Subject: Re: [Ess] WW1 Army Records
>>> There are two types of military records for World War 1 - the
>>> medals record
>>> which don't really give much information and the pensions war
>>> record which
>>> are quite detailed. Search for your ancestor on Ancestry then
>>> search in
>>> the military section and find the British world war 1 pensions
>>> record. They
>>> are very detailed if you can find one.
>>> Regards
>>> Diana
>>> ---------------------------
>>> In a message dated 04/09/2009 14:47:39 GMT Daylight Time,
>>> writes:
>>> Hello
>>> I've found my Essex ancestors WW1 record on Ancestry & then
>>> checked on National Archives & also found a record for him
>>>
>>> My question is, would the NA record show anything extra than
>>> Ancestry?
>>> The Ancestry record just has his Regiment & Regiment Number then
>>> Victory, Roll & Page
>>> Also, on the Ancestry record under British, it has a squiggly line
>>> - does that mean he wasn't British?
>>> I've never seen one of these records before & I don't really
>>> understand what I'm looking at
>>> Thanks for any help