ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-09 > 1252226311

From: Roger Partridge <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] WW1 Army Records
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 09:38:31 +0100
References: <c09.68c12bf5.37d28292@aol.com><905665.48076.qm@web86605.mail.ird.yahoo.com><DE8889EC-4916-4415-88FF-B9F3877C9E3A@ukonline.co.uk><004e01ca2ea1$0ae19a10$20a4ce30$@com.au>
In-Reply-To: <004e01ca2ea1$0ae19a10$20a4ce30$@com.au>

G'day Teri & Listers !

Glad to have helped a little ! - I'm certainly not an expert on Army
records
as I did my National Service in the Royal Navy (and there you keep the
same Service Number all the way through !), but I have learnt a bit
as lots
of my ancestors were in the Army in India, the Crimean War and WW1 & 2.

Recruits often went into their local regiment as they signed on at a
local
Recruiting Office, but maybe he was working up in Yorkshire when he
signed on ? I would think that the Military Police and a Cycle Corps
were
specialised units that he would have volunteered for, perhaps due to
special
skills or interests that he had ? (e.g. was he in the Police in
civilian life ?)

I don't think that they had to be wounded to transfer ? I only knew
my late
father-in-law had been wounded as he had a very bad car accident after
he retired, and when he came out of hospital he was rather worried about
getting in and out of the bath and asked me to stand just outside the
door
in case he needed help, and I saw this horrific scar across his back
- and
then he told me he had been shot when he was wriggling under some
barbed wire in "No Man's Land". It was only when I started researching
Family History that I found out that he had started in the
Cambridgeshire
Regiment (he was born in Cambridge) and later served in the Bedford-
shire Regiment and the Northamptonshire Regiment. (In WW2 he was
in the Royal Air Force).

Give my love to Oz ! - I had 2 fantastic holidays there in '90 & '92 !

Best Wishes ! Roger.
--------------------
On 6 Sep 2009, at 04:20, gypsys_genealogy wrote:
> G'day Roger
> Well that cleared something up for me as my Grandfathers medal
> record that
> I've just located has him in 3 regiments with 3 different numbers -
> I didn't
> realise they moved around - was this generally because they were
> wounded?
> I've found him in W Yorks, Military Police & what looks like a
> cycle corps?
> Also a bit surprised being an Essex lad that he ended up in W Yorks
> So much to learn :)
> Hooroo!
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Roger Partridge [mailto:]
> Sent: Saturday, 5 September 2009 12:35 AM
> To: Essex post
> Cc: ; ;
> Subject: Re: [Ess] WW1 Army Records
> Hi, Teri, Diana, George & Listers !
> The other important fact to remember is that the WW1 Army records were
> very badly damaged in an air raid during WW2 and about 50 - 60% were
> badly burnt or completely destroyed. The National Archives have done
> their best to rescue as much as possible and microfilm them, but
> for many
> WW1 soldiers all you will ever find is their Medal Record card -
> they can
> tell you quite a lot in many cases:- I only knew that my late
> father-in-law
> had served in one regiment until I found his card which told me of
> the two
> other regiments that he had been transferred into after being
> wounded !
> Each time he was transferred across he had a new regimental number.
> Good Hunting ! Roger.
> ---------------------
> On 4 Sep 2009, at 15:59, George Carter wrote:
>> One thing to remember is that not everyone got a pension. Anyone who
>> had served I think 12 years or was injured while on active service
>> would
>> get a pension but they weren`t freely handed out. My grandfather who
>> was shot through the knee and eventually lost his leg while on the
>> Somme
>> got a pension but when he died in 1926 it wasn`t passed on to my
>> gran.
>> Because of a seven year clause, plus they reckoned his heart attack
>> had
>> nothing to do with his injury, despite having to have 19 operations
>> on his leg
>> George Carter in Whaley Bridge
>> ________________________________
>> From: "" <>
>> To:
>> Cc:
>> Sent: Friday, 4 September, 2009 3:47:46 PM
>> Subject: Re: [Ess] WW1 Army Records
>> There are two types of military records for World War 1 - the
>> medals record
>> which don't really give much information and the pensions war
>> record which
>> are quite detailed. Search for your ancestor on Ancestry then
>> search in
>> the military section and find the British world war 1 pensions
>> record. They
>> are very detailed if you can find one.
>> Regards
>> Diana
>> ---------------------------
>> In a message dated 04/09/2009 14:47:39 GMT Daylight Time,
>> writes:
>> Hello
>> I've found my Essex ancestors WW1 record on Ancestry & then
>> checked on National Archives & also found a record for him
>> My question is, would the NA record show anything extra than
>> Ancestry?
>> The Ancestry record just has his Regiment & Regiment Number then
>> Victory, Roll & Page
>> Also, on the Ancestry record under British, it has a squiggly line
>> - does that mean he wasn't British?
>> I've never seen one of these records before & I don't really
>> understand what I'm looking at
>> Thanks for any help