ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-08 > 1251730979

From: "Caroline Bradford" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Frank Edward Went (Holland)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:02:59 +0100

Hi Tim

As Dudley said, you presumably have the birth certificate, so I am not sure
why you are now seeking a baptism. It is very unlikely that this will tell
you anything you do not already know. If there was something "dodgy" about
his birth (i.e. illegitimacy etc), then the chances of finding "truer"
information in a baptism register are slim. Civil registration was
compulsory, baptism was very much optional, so if the mother had something
to hide it is unlikely she would have had the baby baptised at all.

However, I applaud your desire to check out every avenue, so it would make
sense to tell us which registers you have already looked at. The obvious
first choice would be Holy Trinity, Waltham Cross (registers at the
Hertfordshire Archives). If he is not there, then you will have to work
your way outwards from his place of birth, in which case it might be helpful
to let us know if there were family connections nearby which might provide a
logical starting place. Waltham Cross is particularly challenging, however,
as although it is in Hertfordshire, the borders of Middlesex and Essex are
only a spit away. So there will be three separate record offices to visit!
As well as the (quite strong) possibility that Frank was not baptised at
all, you will also need to consider a non-conformist or RC baptism. These,
alas, are even trickier, as the registers tend not to have been deposited.

Best wishes

Caroline