ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-07 > 1246548045

From: "Mick Loxdale" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] ESSEX RECORD OFFICE - Kirkby le Soken (LAY & NORTON)
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 16:20:45 +0100

Jacqui,

As I understand it, before the recent additions to Seax a short while back the work on the few registers that were then posted on
line was carried out by some organisation other than the record office itself (sorry, I have just deleted the email with the details
of that organisation's name).

The more recent additions are being uploaded under a scheme by Essex RO called "Ancestors Online". From their latest Update
newsletter it states;
"Planning continues for the implementation of the Essex Ancestors project to publish images of our parish registers online but in
the interim please note some pre 1700 parish registers are already available"

>From that I read............be patient. Cost and staff time must, I assume, play a part, but looking at the number of parishes in
the County it must be a mammoth task in itself to scan or photograph that lot before displaying on the Seax. I have no idea how or
why certain registers are selected, but maybe someone else on the list will know. Have no idea either why the Kirby and Walton
records are only available by personal visit as I understood it was a simple process to obtain copies of the microfiche of these
registers from Essex RO by post. Once again maybe someone else can enlighten you.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Mick Loxdale
Stowmarket,