ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-06 > 1245489651

From: Roger Partridge <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Black Dog.Horndon on the Hill
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:20:51 +0100

Hi Bernie & Listers !

This sounded intriguing so I gave it a go - 1st I tried the
Essex Pubs website, but this seems to be undergoing
some reorganisation at this time so I did not have much
luck !

Secondly I put "Black Dog, Horndon" into Google and
restricted it to the U.K. - but I think you are only interested
in Horndon-on-the-Hill, Essex, near Thurrock ?? I have
to warn you that there is another village called Horndon
down in Devon, and near it is a village called Black Dog !
(I have actually seen the road signs for this place as it is
a few miles from where 2 of my daughters live down in
Devon !)
So, this 2nd enquiry turned up 4,740 hits !! - which is
rather a lot to wade through ! - IF your Google/NZ will
not restrict it to U.K. only you could try looking at :

www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%22Black+Dog%2C+Horndon%
22&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

and you may be able to sort something out ??

Sorry I cannot narrow it down more than that !

Good Hunting & Best Wishes ! Roger.
----------------------
On 20 Jun 2009, at 09:05, Bernie Fynn wrote:

> Hi List.
> Does anyone know about or know someone who does,
> about the black dog in horndon on the hill.My great uncle
> ran it for a number of years around the end of the 19th c
> and into the the 20th c.I would like to find any family.
> His name was william henry fynn, wife rosanna and
> daughter grace.He was also a blacksmith.
> Bernie Fynn
> New Zealand

This thread: