ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-06 > 1244213096

From: "Diane Johansen" <>
Subject: [Ess] CATTERMOLE - Clacton-on-Sea
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 15:44:56 +0100

I have found a link to Essex through my Norfolk and Suffolk CLARKE and CATTERMOLE family and was wondering whether anyone would be able to help.

James CATTERMOLE was born in Pakefield, Suffolk, ca. 1822. He married Mary Ann CLARKE (from my family line) in 1843 and they lived in and around Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, until at least 1891. Their daughter, Mary Ann (b. Great Yarmouth 1846) married late in life to a Charles Murrell HANDLEY of Maldon, Essex and, by the time of the 1901 Census, Mary Ann CATTERMOLE senior - then aged 80 and a "retired farmer's widow" - was living with Mary Ann and Charles at Lodge Road, Maldon.

It would seem likely, then, that the CATTERMOLEs may have moved to Essex at some point after 1891 and that James may have died in the county between 1891 and 1901 as I have not tracked his burial in Norfolk. I have found a possible Monumental Inscription reference for a James CATTERMOLE who is buried at St. John Baptist, Great Clacton in 1895. I have found a further mention of a possible date of death as 22nd June 1895 under an Admons. index for Ipswich, Suffolk, so am wondering if I am on the right track.

I would very much like to know the actual inscription on the headstone at Great Clacton - as this may confirm that this is definitely "my" James - and it may also show whether Mary Ann was buried with him. James and Mary Ann also had a son, James, who was born in 1850. He also moved to Maldon and was unmarried in 1901, so he, too, may have been buried in the same grave. From photographs I have found of the church on the internet it is difficult to see whether any headstones are still standing.

Many thanks!

Diane
Researching COBB, Bradwell/Belton/Burgh Castle, Suffolk & Norfolk
CLARKE, Ditchingham, Suffolk, Burgh Castle, Norfolk
CATTERMOLE, Pakefield Hall (now Pontins Holiday resort?)

This thread: