ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-06 > 1243889485

From: Firebird <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Viewing Vital Records
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 21:51:25 +0100

Christina Dixon wrote:

> Anyway, my question is this: Can you view vital records before
> purchase and if so, where would you go to do this and can your order
> up the documents as I have read you can do at the archives in Kew?

No, you can't see any certificates without purchasing them, with the
exception of marriage certificates (see below) and they can NOT be
ordered at Kew. The only documents you can order there are the ones
they hold as detailed in their online catalogue.

What you can see baptisms and burials in the county record offices/
archives. You can also see the marriage registers there which have
exactly the same information as a certificate would do, plus you also
get to see the signatures or marks of the bride, groom and witnesses.

This thread: