ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-05 > 1243799776

From: "La Greenall" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] DUGARD(E) - Bishops Waltham
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 20:56:16 +0100

It may well have been Waltham Abbey.

I've failed to find any refs to DUGARD here - except one: in the 1841
census (book 6 folio 25 pages 1 & 2) there was a large family of
"DUGARD"s (no final E) living on the north side of the market place:

William40 m Butcher
Ann 40 f
Thos 20 m
Henry 15 m
Mary 15 f
William15 m
James 12 m
Lucy 8 f
Richard3 m
Robert1 m
Henry 4m m

Don't forget that ages above 15 would have been rounded down to the
nearest 5 years, so Henry, Mary and William could well be aged anywhere
from 15 to 19 for instance, and William senior would have been born
circa 1796-1801, if the census data is accurate.

There was also a Henry DUGARD aged 14 at the Three Tuns, elsewhere in
the market place (book 6 folio 54 page 20), who I take to be another son
of the family, probably employed as bar staff or a stable boy (no
occupation was stated in the census).

All the children were born in Essex but neither of the parents were. As
Waltham Abbey is a county border town this isn't too surprising and
could well suggest that, in a wider context, the DUGARD 'home'
(geographically) was just over the border in Hertfordshire (less than a
mile away), or possibly Middlesex which is only 3 or 4 miles away.

I realise none of this helps with your aim to search back from the mid
18th century, but it does at least indicate the surname's presence here
soon afterwards. The out-of-county clue could also help with your
research - don't limit it to Essex!

I think I would use the IGI to plot a birthplace distribution pattern of
the surname, in say 25 or 50 year spreads, starting at 1800 and working
back. That might well help you to determine two factors; where they
spread from within this country, and whether they mysteriously arrived
'all of a sudden' in some spot or other, which would probably suggest a
foreign origin. I think of this technique as being a bit like a
speeded-up film of lichen growing on a memorial stone.

It might also be worth contacting the Huguenot Society, or whatever it's
called. I bet they'd have the surname in their database if they were
Huguenots (and the 18th century would be about the right timeframe for
this).

Cheers,
Lawrence,
in sunny Waltham Abbey.