ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-03 > 1236892588

From: Charles Fuller <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] ST MARK'S CHURCH VICTORIA ROAD
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:16:51 +0000

Hello,

So this means that the official name of the church was Victoria Docks
St. Mark - it was created in 1864 out of the area covered by Plaistow
St. Mary, East Ham and Woolwich (Kent). (It was a Church of England
church.) The old maps I have show the street name as Victoria Dock Road.

Regards,
Charles Fuller.

Mick Gilbey wrote:
> I had already written directly to Dianne about some of the original
> information from the army service record. Victoria Road is actually Victoria
> Dock, an area of Silvertown/Canning town in London but the handwriting can
> be easily be misread.
>
> St. Marks was the church at the junction of Factory Road, Connaught Road and
> Albert Road, (previously Market Place). This church is now demolished.
> William Phelam's home address on his service record was Peto Street on the
> Canning Town/Silvertown borders. The original houses in this street was
> destroyed by bombing in WW2
> Mick

This thread: