ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-03 > 1236887602

From: Charles Fuller <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] ST MARK'S CHURCH VICTORIA ROAD
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:53:46 +0000

Hello,

A William G. Phelan was born at Ferozepore, India in 1877 according to
the index of Army Births. The Regiment is given as the 34th., and the
registration reference as Volume 1081 Page 63. It's possible to order
this certificate online in the usual way (except that you want option 7
for Overseas Births).

This page:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080113060257/www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/034-702.htm

gives an overview of the history of the 34th. (The Cumberland) Regiment
of Foot. This shows that it was in Ireland for 1872-75, and then in
India for 1875-81 when it became "The Border Regiment". The Regiment
returned to England in 1890.

This William appears on the 1891 census living with his widowed mother
Elizabeth in Northfleet, Kent. Elizabeth was born in Lindridge,
Worcestershire and is recorded with the age of 48.

Regards,
Charles Fuller.