ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-03 > 1236879807

From: "JFHH" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] ST MARK'S CHURCH VICTORIA ROAD
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:43:27 -0000

Hello Diane,
----- Original Message ----- From: "Diane Godbout" <>
> Hello Listers
> I am new to the List and I am hoping someone can help me with my roadblock.
> I have found the marriage of William Phelan and Laura McCreary that took place Sept 1899 in
> WestHam Essex on the Free BMD. I have also found on the Enlistment papers of William Phelan dated
> Aug 31 1914 a portion of the copy of their marriage indicating that they were married in St Mark's
> on Victoria Road by Steven Smyth Vicar on the 2nd of Sept 1899. This document list the Brides
> parents but does not list the groom's parent.
> Would anyone out there have access to the Parish Records of St Mark's that would be able to check
> this for me?
> I would be most grateful.> Diane in Ontario Canada

If you look at the first page of his enlistment papers you will see he was born in India at what
Ancestry has transcribed as Terinpore but might just conceivably be Singapore. As Mick has pointed
out, India is given in 1901. 1911 might give more detail.
A gazetteer of India is at http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/
No immediately obvious places ending ...pore which might fit.
However, there is a very active India family history society at http://www.fibis.org/
and the British Library site at http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/
These should be able to help you track down his birth.
The information you have on the marriage will enable you to get the certificate from either the GRO
or the local register office: this should give the father's name.

HTH
John Henley

This thread: