ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-02 > 1235845920

From: Steve <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Is there a register of divorces?
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 18:32:00 +0000

Hi Martin,

Just in case nobody else replied,
has links to divorces

As to did people actually get divorced, I think that would depend
somewhat on their financial position and place in society.

Basically it cost a lot to get divorced and was quite scandalous, so for
the working classes you can find quite a few "poor man's divorces"
where one or both parties moved away from where they had been and
started again. I have seen one where he moved north out of Newcastle and
she moved south - only about 15 miles - and she described herself as a
widow, while he just up and married again.

Actually, I have found a couple of cases where people were "married" by
the time they got to the next town, but there is no record of their

Mobility is a wonderful thing.