ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-01 > 1232669837

From: Dick Mathews <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Lavinia Taylor
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:17:17 +0000

Hello Graham

You say "She was the first child of Daniel Taylor and Jane Webb (nee
Watcham)", but in the 1861 census Daniel is shown with four children -
so do you know that Jane Webb was his second wife?

Lavinia is shown as aged 3 - but so is Edward. And (although children
are normally listed in order of age) listed after Edward is a son named
John, aged 5, and a daughter in law, Mary Webb, aged 7.

Actually, FreeBMD lists 'Lavinia Eliza' as the earlier, and plain
'Lavinia' as the later. And FreeBMD doesn't list baptisms, only civil
registrations. Either of those could be described as aged 3 in the 1861
census - but it seems unlikely that the one you seek was a twin as there
is no entry for Edward in either June 1857 or 1858 - indeed Ican't see a
likely entry for Edward at all.

As Caroline Bradford points out, the other Lavinia is at Gt Horkesley,
where the enumerator has listed her as 'Lavinia G' - which could be in
error for 'E', but then again might not be.

Daniel is enmerated in East Donyland in 1871 and Lavinia is there too,
aged 13 (but indexed by Ancestry as 'Loninia'). And Edward is a more
logical 11. RG10; Piece: 1690; Folio: 44; Page: 7

And again from FreeBMD, Livina (sic) Taylor married George Cole Q2/1877
Lexden 4a 425

The couple appear in the 1881 census at RG11; Piece: 1795; Folio: 49;
Page: 18

What sort of lookup were you hoping for?

Dick Mathews