ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-01 > 1231304225

From: "Caron and Roy" <>
Subject: [Ess] Southend national School
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:57:05 +1300

Thanks to Donna, David, Glynis, Anne, Tony and Gerry for their help regarding the school and the pub.My JEMSON family were in Prittlewell in the 1841 census but I have found that they moved down to Southend before some of them moved to London.
The information Anne sent looks very promising, I will look at the website and contact them re the school.

Another question. My husband and I visited Southend and Prittlewell last June and while I was there I bought the book "The Smugglers Century" written by Hervey Benham. In the Footnotes section, page 201, it says, " The Southend agent, ROBERT JEMSON, only disposed of six anchors and one small boat between April 1844 and May 1845". What does agent mean, was ROBERT a customs agent or did he work for the Admiralty? How would I find out more about his profession? ROBERT died in 1850 aged 50 years, and on his death certificate it states that he was a coal merchant. On his wife's death certificate, ELIZABETH JEMSON, who died in 1883, it states that she was the widow of ROBERT JEMSON, MASTER MARINER, M.S. What does the M.S stand for? In the 1841 census ROBERTS profession is mariner.

Regards
Caron

This thread: