ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-01 > 1231232064

From: "Tony Brown" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Southend National School
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 08:54:24 -0000

The Crooked Billet is indeed a pub still serving the thirsty in the High
Street which is part of the old town part of Leigh.

Looking through various history books it seems there were many schools in
Southend during this period some based on religious affiliation or which
operated as small businesses. The National school (I believe this was a
Church of England undertaking) in Southend is mentioned as being started in
1855 though closed with 20 years due to lack of funds. At the same time a
non -conformist British School In the High St. had over 200 pupils on its
register at the same time. My books also mention that illiteracy rates were
around 60% at during the 1830-40 period so it is likely that many children
were unable to attend any school until non-denominational publicly funded
schools started in 1877 which incidentally lead to the closure of the
British school.

Regards

Tony