ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2009-01 > 1231230551

From: Anne Peat <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Southend National School
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 08:29:11 +0000

National Schools were provided by the National Society for Religious
Education which was a Church of England organisation, which provided
schools for ordinary people's children. Many of them still exist in
towns and villages across England as church schools.

The National Society still exists
see
http://www.natsoc.org.uk/society/history/index.html

This is what is said about its archives
> Archives
> The National Society has built up a rich archive of information on
> the history of the Church in education from 1811 onwards. The
> archive is held at the Church of England Record Centre in
> Bermondsey, south-east London.
>
> The archive contains over 15,000 files of correspondence concerning
> individual schools. Many of these Church schools are still very
> active today. We also hold files on closed schools, and on county
> schools that were originally founded as Church schools. The files
> mostly contain correspondence and papers about applications for
> grants.

Yes, the Crooked Billet was a common name for a pub.

The Essex Pubs site
has information on the pub, including the information that William
Rolph Hay was there from 1848
http://londonpublichouse.com/essexpubs/Leigh/croobill.shtml

HTH
Anne

On 6 Jan 2009, at 01:05, Caron and Roy wrote:

> Happy New Year to everyone from NZ,
>
> Does anyone know if there are any records regarding the National
> School at Southend for the period 1820's to 1860's. I have looked on
> ancestry for the names of the schools in either Southend or
> Prittlewell for this time. My JEMSON family was living in Southend
> at this time so I assume that the children may have attended this
> school. The directory lists only the National School, Southend,
> William McDonald , Master. Mrs Janette McDonald was mistress of the
> infant school.
> I have checked out SEAX for any records but there do not seem to be
> any for this school.
>
> One more thing, does anyone know what "Crooked Billet" is referring
> to? In the 1851 directory for Leigh under WILLIAM HAY it has this
> written beside it. The list is under tradesman. I am presuming it is
> a pub but thought someone might know for sure.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Caron

This thread: