ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-12 > 1230668108

From: Firebird <>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:15:08 +0000

wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a query - On Free BMD I thought if a marriage, birth or death can't be
> found on there then the marriage didn't occur or the birth or death wasn't
> registered. I thought it was a comprehensive record. Am I wrong? How is it
> that Find My Past has different records? Do they get their information from
> somewhere different?

FreeBMD and Findmypast use exactly the same source: the GRO indexes.

FreeBMD is a volunteer project and not all the indexes have been fully
transcribed as yet. However, the GRO indexes themselves are not complete.

If a marriage can't be found on either FreeBMD or Findmypast then it
either didn't happen or it has been missed out of the GRO index.

If a birth can't be found on either then either it wasn't registered
or it has been missed out of the GRO index.

Likewise with a death but a burial wasn't supposed to take place
without a death certificate, although there are many occurences of
burials taking place without it.

See Mike Foster's book "Comedy of Errors" for further information
about the missing entries.

This thread: