ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-11 > 1226418587

From: Firebird <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Ages on marriage certificates
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:49:47 +0000

podnsod wrote:
> I don't consider anyone in the age range of 18- 21 to be minors.

Legally they still were, just as anyone under the age of 18 is legally
a minor these days.

Maturity is, of course, a different matter. I've known a 5 year old
who are more mature than a so called adult of 43!! I also know a 62
year old who still uses baby talk and has done for at least the last
10 years.

> Interestingly enough both marriages were with banns so it might be
> interesting to check the pr's and see if they in fact posted banns.
> The marriage certificate should tell you that.

If the marriage cert says by banns, the parish register will say the
same thing but you won't necessarily get the dates. Even if you did,
how could you be sure the banns had really been read on those dates?

Depending on the period, some registers did allow space for the dates
of the reading of the banns. Some banns registers still exist but
IME, most times the banns aren't recorded and the banns certs are
given to the bride and/or groom so haven't survived.

This thread: