ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-09 > 1222194450

From: "gwyn bailey" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Hepzibah E Clarke- 1861 /1871 Census
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:27:30 +0100

Hello Alan

I have found Hepzibah on the 1861 in East Donyland [near Colchester]
with mother Margaret and siblings Margaret 15, Benjamin 10 and Sarah
6. Margaret senior is shown as a 'Mariners Wife' so presumably father
is away at sea. All the children shown born in E.Donyland.

In 1871 Hepzibah [this time with an 'E' added for a second name] is
the only child living with Margaret Snr and she is shown as wife of a
smack owner, born in Gt Bromley, Essex. Once more father must be away
at sea.

In 1881 Hepzibah is living with a 'Mrs James Clark' who is a widow and
is the right age and born in Gt Bromley Essex to be Margaret snr of
the previous returns.

Going back to 1851 to see if there were any older siblings before
Margaret jnr, there do not appear to be any but there are two
additional children, James aged 5 and William aged 3. Once more James
Snr seems to be away at sea.

I can't find a marriage for Margaret and James, if Margaret's maiden
name had been Erner it would have answered your query! I have an
itnterest as I have the unusual surname of 'Awner' in my ancestry
which has been mistranscribed many times so thouguht it worth trying
to trace your Hepzibah!

Anyway hope this helps a little.

Best wishes, Gwyn

--