ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-09 > 1221068153

From: "Eve Ferguson" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] St Georges Schools
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:35:53 -0400

Hi Margaret
My Mother was sent to an Orphanage in Ongar Essex about 1912. Her Father was
dead and her Mother was dying, both of TB and 35 years old.
I did some research on why from Hackney they went to Essex. It seems the
Hackney Child welfare people felt these East End Orphans would be better off
in the Country.
The Old orphanage buildingsare now some smart residential homes.
My Mother was definatly better off being there until she was 17 than she
would have been left in Hackney.
I was quite surprised as I researched her Family to find when she and her 3
siblings were orphaned they had living Grandparents. I wonder why they didnt
take them.
Eve (Canada now)