ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-06 > 1214734556

From: "Colleen" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Coggeshall
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:15:56 +0100

I second that, Lawrence, thanks for this lovely report on Coggeshall! I've
also recently spent a day looking around this stunning little Essex town and
the only time the smile left my face all day was when I gasped at some of
the beautiful buildings. Anyone with Coggeshall roots is very fortunate as
their ancestors' footprints are so well preserved here.

What is so lovely about Paycocke's is that you can wander around much of it
on your own when it's empty, round the richly decorated living rooms, up
into the bedrooms and round the garden. Everything is so beautifully
preserved and looks so much as it did when the Paycockes lived there that
you can still feel the aura of Paycockes in this gorgeous house they built.

What a lovely place Grange Barn is too, Lawrence, full of old wagons and
steeped in history. Did you see the isinglass factory at the entrance to the
town? Now converted into old people's accommodation, but the exterior is
partly preserved.

Though there's a lot to be said for wandering around Paycocke's with not a
sole in the place (even the couple who look after the place disappeared when
I was there) I do envy your guided tour too, Lawrence. I'd love to join your
group but your visits are on weekdays aren't they? I work weekdays, so days
off on then outside my leave periods are rare for me. Where has your group
been so far and where are you going next?

Colleen