ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-06 > 1213734862

From: "Jenny De Angelis" <>
Subject: [Ess] can anyone help me please
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:37:19 +0200

The only Esther or Hester, regardless of surname, born about 1860 at
Kelshall Herts. that I could find in the 1881 census at Ancestry was one
that was shown as Esther Hear, unmarried aged 25 born Kelshall who was a
Dom. Serv. in Kensington. Ref. RG11 piece 42 folio 60 page 18, though
Ancestry has her as being on page 17 she is on the continuation of the last
household shown on page 17, Esther is over the page on 18, reverse of folio
60. Might be worth a look in case she had married a Mr. Hear in the
meantime but had left him and went to work as a single woman or her
employers or the enumerator got her surname wrong by a long way???

I found an Esther Jones who was born 1861 at March Cambs. in the 1881 he is
a servant working in Leicester St. Mary Leicestershire for a family called
Collier. the ref. for this entry is RG11 piece 3175 folio 113 page 17

I found a birth reg. on the FreeBMD transcripts at Ancestry for a birth
that
might be of interest
March Qtr. 1861 Esther Jones Reg. District Royston Volume 3a page 214

I found what must be your Alfred in the 1881 census living Leyton with
parents William aged 58 occ. Labourer born Middlesex and Maryann aged 5
born Middx. Alfred is 16 occ. Labourer born Shoeburyness, Alice 13 orn
Leytonstone and Grandau. Emily 3 born Leytonstone.
Ref. is RG11 piece 1727 folio 75 page 20

1871 census ref. RG10 piece 1634 folio 153 page 62 shows the Barrett family
at Leyton, Harrow Green. William and Mary Ann are there with children
William 22, Thomas 20, John 18, Francis 16, James 14, George 12 all shown
born London as are the parents this time, then comes Susan 9, Alfred 6,
Alice 3 all born Leytonstone Essex.

I looked at FreeBMD for any Barrett events that took place in the West Ham
Reg. District between March Qtr. 1891 and Dec. 1898 I found the following
that might interest you.
Births March Qtr 1891
Julia/Julie Barrett vol. 4a page 345, both spellings given for name.

Births Sep. Qtr. 1891 Charles Barrett vol. 4a page157
Ditto Ditto Charles Ernest Barrett Vol. 4a page 82
ditto ditto William James Barrett Vo. 4a page 210

Births June Qtr. 1895 Alfred Charles Barrett vol. 4a page 297

Births Sept. Qtr.1897 Arthur Charles vol. 4a page 264
dittom ditto Arthiur Frederick vol. 4a page 318

I then found a birth in March Qtr. 1915 for Violet R. Barret mother's
maiden
name Jones Reg. Dist. West Ham volume 4a page 879.

I found a death for Esther Barrett aged 50 March Qtr. 1919 at West Ham
volume 4a page 374 which would fit with a woman born about 1869ish, we all
know how inaccurate ages at death can be, it might be an idea to get the
husband's name checked against this entry to see if he was called Alfred
Barrett before ordering a copy of the cert.

Hope here is of some help.
Regards
Jenny DeAngelis
Spain.

Diana wrote
<<> Hester/Esther) No sign of Hester in 1881 census - I wonder if she was
> abroad and married
> Alfred abroad?>>

This thread: