ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-06 > 1213125196

From: "Chris Graves" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] More questions... a miller's story
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:13:16 +0100

Hi Paul

It would be St Helen's Lane (St Helena is the patron saint of Colchester)
which was the site of all brands of nonconformists. The Meeting House was
Presbyterian at first, then then the subject of a great tussle between
Presbyterians and Unitarians around 1810, followed by the launch of
Congregationalists who established the Stockwell Street chapel. I confess
it's a subject that confuses me greatly - as it certainly did our forbears,
following one or another minister as they did!

The full story is in the Victoria County History of Essex vol IX
(Colchester) pages 339-346

It's highly likely that a family from Finchingfield, with a strong history
of nonconformism, would follow a given minister from their village to
Colchester and back again. I can't comment on the marriage point though

Chris Graves, Colchester