ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-05 > 1211290840

From: "jacqueline.cooper" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] New website for Uttlesford history
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 14:40:40 +0100

Essex List members may already have noted a brand new website that is being officially launched this week - see address below. It is intended to reflect the history of Uttlesford, the huge rural area that covers North west Essex.

We founded the Recorders 10 years ago and are celebrating our anniversary with this new site, which we hope will prove useful to family and local historians, school pupils and students, and all those who love Essex history.

These are early days but already there are over 100 pages of material and it will grow considerably in the next few months, so keep checking. A particularly exciting development is that the Recorders have teamed up with the Saffron Walden Historical Journal to put online articles from their earliest back issues - these are a rich resource of academically-researched but very accessible material.

The website also provides a better vehicle for our village history database, known as RUTH (Recording Uttlesford History). You will find hundreds of entries relating to the Chesterfords, Radwinter, Newport and Manuden as a starting point - this database will grow into thousands and thousands of catalogued entries eventually on lots of other villages, and we plan to add material from the local museum and town library too.

The site is searchable so give it a try. It also provides links to those villages that already have a history website, and you will find various articles of more general history of the district, lists of publications, places where you can go and do research and so on.

If anyone would like to contribute material please get in touch, and do let us have feedback to let us know what would be most useful to you. Please note the material is freely available to researchers, but those wishing to reproduce material or link it to their sites should seek permission. Also remember that Recorders are busy in their own patch (all Recorders live in the places they represent), and normally cannot undertake to do personal family research for people - it is better to use the extensive internet genealogy sites for that. What the site is most useful for, we hope, is to fill in the wood beyond your trees! to help you people the landscape in which your ancestors lived, and understand the context.

Jacqueline Cooper
Chairman, Recorders of Uttlesford History
www.recordinguttlesfordhistory.org.uk

This thread: