ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-03 > 1205426427

From: "Caroline Bradford" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] BUTLER NAME - ESSEX AND nORTHANTS.
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:40:27 -0000

Hi Frances

It was not mandatory for a father's name to appear on a birth certificate.
On the contrary, in fact, at the time in question, the only way that a
"putative" father could be so named was if the man in question went along to
the Registrar with the mother and signed the certificate.

Universal elementary education came into being with Forster's Education Act
of 1870. Although this was still not free, the cost was relatively low, and
school boards could set fees on a sliding scale so that the poorer families
were subsidised by the richer ones. Payment was made weekly, so most
children could afford to attend at least some of the time.

Unless your great grandmother chose to take the father of her child to court
for maintenance (a pretty rare occurrence), I am afraid you may have to
accept that you will never know his identity. It is possible (sorry to have
to say this!) that your great grandmother might not have known herself.
Babies conceived out of wedlock were more common in the mid nineteenth
century than we often imagine. In very many cases, a wedding would have
been hastily arranged. Where this did not take place, there would probably
be a good reason. The mother may have refused to divulge the identity of
the father, the father might already be married, be an itinerant worker
passing through the area or (as I think you may be theorising) someone from
a higher social status.

Hope this helps

Caroline