ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-03 > 1204976712

From: "Colleen" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Death and Burial records
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 11:45:12 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "John.harker" <>

> An old friend of mine always said when a person die`s his/her`s soul
> leaves
> the body and all that is left is vessel,so why do you need to go to a
> grave
> to mourn over them.
> Doris

There's a lot of truth in that, Doris, however old graves and graveyards are
such valuable resources. Graves are an important focus for mourning,
contemplation and meditation on the loved ones we have lost and on our own
lives. They are great places to pause and recharge our spiritual or human
batteries. They provide such important records for us family historians too
and are often vital havens of peace, green space and wild life sanctuaries.
When we consider the irreplaceable importance of the heritage of graveyards
contain and the beautiful works of ancient art and craftsmanship they
preserve too, it seems to me that the contribution our old graveyards and
gravestones make to our lives and our towns and villages means they should
always be carefully protected - and used.

Colleen

This thread: