ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-03 > 1204941647

From: "pamhillier" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] HAVIS & TOELEY, Great Burstead, Nr Billericay - Need Help!
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 12:30:47 +1030

Hi Mark
As an adjunct to Rosemary....I have been searching under all sorts - Towley,
Tolley etc etc (thinking accents) on the census to see if I could find
where they hailed from. Loads of that name seem to be Birmingham, which
accounts for the marriage perhaps.!!!!
because we dont know where the parents were born.
There are a few Toeley's up North and in Devon.........so the name seems
prevelant in those areas, which is a clue......ok not a wonderful one, but a
clue. There's a Joseph Havis marrying in Billericay Essex in 1893 - another
clue.
No Toeleys comes up on the IGI for Essex either, and very few for
Havis......and they are phonetic's sensitive, so methinks they came from
elsewhere. Mind you Essex is not covered well on the IGI......

I really think if you can, you start from the basic of what you know and get
the Parish registers out and search them. Hopefully you will find other
leads, another child where John was baptised. or perhaps a mention that they
wee from a "certain parish", all sorts of clues can be gleaned from the
Parish registers. On the other hand you can go through the darn one and only
get one bapt......but at least you know they didn't from from there.
Tis what we all do unfortunately.....no-one said this was easy.

When doing a search of Havi* Hav* Joseph ...there is a Joseph and Elizabeth
on the 1861 census in Ulting Essex but no John......ok he could have been
elsehwhere.
There are so many variables as to why we cannot track them on
census.......were they not home census night and not recorded......was
Joseph married before, did Elizabeth go under her second chr name.....that
happens......or liz or Lizzie - I have checked as many variables as I can.
Mind you I had an eye injury this last week......so perhaps I missed
something.
Clues and nothing specific
Pam