ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-03 > 1204912638

From: "La Greenall" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Death and Burial records
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:57:18 -0000

[mailto:] On Behalf Of Shirley & Phil
O'Donnell

<snip> Every year on his birthday, Grandpa
Dick's ashes come out of their pride of place, are placed on the table
and
they have dinner with grandpa Dick. They remember him with funny stories
and
my SIL recalls his childhood. Whilst some of us think it's weird, I
happen
to think it's keeping a memory alive and I am wondering when I am gone
if my
daughter will allow me the same privilege, I doubt it! When we look
around
and we see the way our cemeteries are allowed to go to rack and ruin
this
family are keeping their beloved ancestor close to home.

Shirley from muggy Florida

I just hope they have their drinks after the meal and not before - I
dread to think what might happen if someone reached for the pepper in an
inebriated manner...

But you are right about cemeteries falling into a state as the memories
fade away. I had to bury my dad 19 months ago, and our visits to his
grave are already getting a little erratic. Personally, I wouldn't mind
having a bit of cement and water added to me so I could be made into
something useful like a brick. That way I could also become a bequest to
my beneficiaries, especially if they were hoping to be left a nice house
somewhere. Maybe I could be cast into my very own headstone. Now there's
a thought!

Lawrence.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
04/03/2008 08:35