ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-03 > 1204891599

From: RAYMOND BISHOP <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Death and Burial records
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 12:06:39 +0000 (GMT)

And in cases such as this the ashes are not necessarily looked after by one of the relatives, but may be stored at the crematorium.
Ray

Caroline Bradford <> wrote:
Hi Heather

I don't think it's that uncommon, though perhaps a little extreme. Since
cremation became more and more the norm, the issue of how and where ashes
should be disposed of can become an issue within families that takes some
time to be resolved. Immediate funeral arrangements have to be made soon
after death, even when there are conflicting views or family complications.
But the final resting place of ashes carries no time imperative, which may
be an advantage as it allows family and friends time to make considered
decisions and arrangements. Sometimes these decisions can take an
inordinate time to resolve to everyone's satisfaction. Five years is rather
a long time, but so long as all those concerned were happy with the outcome
in the end, that's all that matters.

Best wishes

Caroline