ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2008-01 > 1201302644

From: "Mike" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] ASSER and JUDD
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:10:44 +1300

Hello Dudley

All I have is from the 1851 census, they left for that place over the ditch in 1856. If the pronunciation is so different I would imagine that the enumerator would have got it right and that it is Beauchamp.

Thanks again

Mike

Hmm. Pronunciation is always a minefield, especially 200 years after the event, but I would say the Belchamps are pronounced Belsham, and Beauchamp is pronounced Beecham. I now expect to be shot down in flames. Does anyone have local knowledge of the said villages? I'm off to consult my Reaney's Essex Placenames.

Mike - does anything else you know about the family suggest one area rather than the other?

Dudley

This thread: