ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-11 > 1195640795

From: Firebird <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Ordering Certificates (was Marriage in Romford,June 1/4 1865)
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:29:18 +0000

The Quineys wrote:

> Hello Eve
>
> I am intrigued by your comment about never ordering marriage
> certificates from the local record office. I have been led to believe
> that this is the *best* place to order from as they have been
> transcribed from the original the least number of times and therefore
> most likely to be accurate.

Local *register* offices can be better for the reason you give, but
with marriages you usually have to know the church where the marriage
took place. A record office is an archive and they don't issue
certificates from there although they may be able provide a photocopy
of a marriage entry albeit at a far higher cost than that charged by a
register office or the GRO. Again, you'd need to know the parish
involved in order to find the church. Not all record offices will
take photocopies because of possible damage to the spine of the book.

If the applicant has found the marriage in the GRO indices, then it
means there are a lot of churches to be checked. So, for that reason,
it's better to use the GRO for marriage certificates.

However, in the case of the Romford marriage, Sheila *did* know the
church, St Edward the Confessor, so she will be able to go to the
register office for the certificate.

So, whilst Eve's advice was sound, it wasn't wholly accurate.

I always use the GRO for all my certs, simply because I find it easier
in the main.

This thread: