ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-11 > 1195618577

From: "pamhillier" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Marriage in Romford, June 1/4 1865
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:46:17 +1030

Hi Sheila
LDS does not seem to have transcribed PR's or BT's for Romford St Edward
the confessor.
On googling I have found that the records for this church span from 1561.
I totally agree with other listers suggesting you get the marriage
certificate. I do have a tendancy towards researching the original Parish
registers however. This depends on how CERTAIN you are about the family you
have collected. Any doubts - then get the certificates.
If you have no doubts then I am sure you can order the Pr's locally back to
1561. The bonus of this approach is of course that you can collect everyone
connected to the family and place them on a database on your home PC. .
Provided of course they all remained in the same place. I was lucky with my
Parkers (a headache of a name) remained in Arundel Sussex for 200 odd years.
Parish registers are the best approach being the originals. BUT
1. Sometimes things are added OR left off of the BT's - due to a
curate/pastor remembering something or mistranscribing. BT's......... being
the copy of the original PR's to the Bishop of the diocese.
2. Some counties - Dorset for one, does not allow copying of the original
PR's, therefore people like the LDScannot film them. Only the BT's. If you
are lucky enough to live in the Uk within cooee of the originals, go for
it.
cheers pam from Adelaide Australia